(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - According to the Wall Street Journal, US officials says that US doesn't possess conventional armament powerful enough to destroy Iran's deeply hidden nuclear facilities.
American Defense Secretary Leon Panetta saying Washington was "still trying" to develop more powerful bombs.
Late last year, Bloomberg reported that the U.S. Air Force received new 15-ton bombs capable of destroying deep underground bunkers, ahead of a possible attack on Iran's nuclear plants.
U.S. officials estimated that even the 15-ton bombs would not be powerful to put a full stop to Iran's nuclear program, either because of some of the facilities' depth or their newly added fortifications.
One unnamed officials said Pentagon analysts estimated that currently held conventional bombs would not be effective against Iran's enrichment plant in Fordo, adding that a tactical nuclear would be the only option if Washington sought to destroy the facility.
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Thursday, the U.S. defense secretary referred to the need to develop bombs potent enough to pierce Iran's defenses, saying: "We're still trying to develop them," Mr. Panetta said.
Israel's Defense Minister Ehud Barak called it "a challenge for the whole world" to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran but stopped short of confirming any action that could further stoke Washington's concern about a possible Israeli military strike, reported by Haaretz.
/129
28 January 2012 - 20:30
News ID: 293374
American Defense Secretary Leon Panetta saying Washington was "still trying" to develop more powerful bombs.