23 October 2011 - 20:30

The Turkish government rejected Sunday an Israeli offer to help in rescue efforts after Turkey was hit with with a 7.2 magnitude quake followed by a 6.1.

The Turkish government rejected Sunday an Israeli offer to help in rescue efforts after Turkey was hit with with a 7.2 magnitude quake followed by a 6.1.

217 were killed and more than 350 injured, as rescue continue, hundreds more feared dead.

Israeli War Minister, Ehud Barak, told Israel's TV, Channel 10, that “he has the impression that the Turks do not want Israel's help”.

“There current response to our offer remains negative”, Barak said, “Should they reconsider, at any given time, we will still be willing and ready to help”.

Turkish officials said that a 1000 persons are feared killed due to the earthquake as rescue continues.

Furthermore, Israeli President, Shimon Peres, phoned his Turkish counterpart, Abullah Gul, also offering help and expressing Israel's condolences to the families of the victims; the conversation is the first since Turkey expelled the Turkish ambassador on September 2nd.

Turkey expelled the Israeli ambassador after Tel Aviv refused to apologize for its deadly attack on the Freedom Flotilla that was heading to Gaza, on May 31 last year, to deliver humanitarian supplies; nine Turkish activists were killed.

The expulsion of the Israeli ambassador came shortly after the United Nations issued a report stating that Israeli commandos who attacked the Turkish ship used excessive force.

/129