15 October 2010 - 20:30

A roadside bomb has killed at least 9 civilians and wounded four others in southern province of Zabul in Afghanistan, a senior police official says.

(AhlulBayt News Agency) - A roadside bomb has killed at least 9 civilians and wounded four others in southern province of Zabul in Afghanistan, a senior police official says.

The people lost their lives after their bus hit an improvised explosive device near the city of Qalat on Friday, Ghulam Jelani Farahi, the deputy police chief of the province, told Press TV.

"Three women are among the victims," Farahi said.

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast, but Taliban militants are the main suspects.

The security situation continues to deteriorate in Afghanistan despite the presence of some 150,000 US-led foreign troops in the war-torn country.

According to a UN report, more than 1,200 civilians have been killed in the first six months of 2010, reflecting a 25-percent increase compared to the same period last year.

End item/ 129