28 April 2015 - 15:08
Iran Urges UN Humanitarian Relief Efforts in Yemen

The Iranian foreign ministry described the Saudi-led military strikes against Yemen as a "big miscalculation", and called for the settlement of the Yemen crisis through internal talks.

Ahlul Bayt News Agency - The Iranian foreign ministry described the Saudi-led military strikes against Yemen as a "big miscalculation", and called for the settlement of the Yemen crisis through internal talks.

"Military attack against Yemen has been a big mistake and miscalculation," Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said on Tuesday.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran holds the deep belief that the Yemeni crisis should be settled politically and through talks among the Yemeni groups to form an all-inclusive government, and preventing further complication of the conditions is a very important step to help the settlement of the Yemeni crisis," he added.

Afkham also underlined the importance of close cooperation to help the Yemeni people and sending humanitarian aids to the country, and called on the new UN Special Envoy on Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed to double efforts to this end.

She also wished success for Ahmed, and expressed the hope that he would take effective and constructive steps to stop military operations against Yemen and help the start of talks among the Yemeni groups immediately.

In relevant remarks in March, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian described the Saudi invasion of Yemen as a "strategic mistake".

"This type of action has made the conditions more complicated and will not help resolve Yemen's problems," Amir Abdollahian said in a meeting with Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah in Kuwait city.

Amir Abdollahian cautioned that insecurity in the region would result in increasing extremism and terrorism, and called for a halt to any military operations against Yemen.

He underlined that Yemen's problems merely had a political solution, and asked Yemen's political parties and groups to return to the negotiating table as they had previously agreed upon.

Saudi Arabia launched its bombing campaign against Yemen on March 26 in an attempt to restore power to fugitive President Mansour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.

Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.

Despite Riyadh's claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.

According to FNA tallies, the attacks have so far claimed the lives of at least 3,024 civilians, mostly women and children.

Meanwhile, according to a report by Yemen's Freedom House Foundation, Saudi airstrikes have killed 3,512 Yemeni people, including 492 children and 209 women, since the beginning of the aggression on March 26 until April 25.

The report added that 6,189 people were injured, including 978 children and 713 women, during the same period.

About 95,000 families have been displaced due to the Saudi-led airstrikes, according to the report.

The foundation further said 4,898 residential buildings have been either destroyed or damaged and some 857 civil service and public utility facilities have been destroyed.

On April 21, after four weeks of bombings, Riyadh declared end to military operations in Yemen, but Saudi warplanes are still bombing residential areas across the war-ravaged nation one week after.


/257

Tags