(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - UN Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said on Thursday that since last July more than 5,000 people have fallen victim to the violence every month.
The figure covers the period between March 2011 and the end of April 2013, the U's top human rights official said, adding that the real number of the fatalities is potentially much higher.
Of the 6,561 minors who lost their lives in the conflict, more than 1,729 were children under 10 years old, Pillay said.
The previous UN figure, released in January, said nearly 60,000 people had been killed in the conflict.
On Wednesday, more than 120 Takfiri militants were killed in fighting in the suburbs of the northern city of Aleppo after the army said it had regained full control of Kafar Hamra, a suburban area of the strategic city.
A day earlier, the militants captured the village of Hatlah in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor after killing more than 60 Shia residents.
The Syrian crisis began in March 2011. Damascus says the West and its regional allies, such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, are supporting the militants.
/106