(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Pakistan's Shia community has said it will not bury dozens of people killed in a devastating bombing in Quetta till the army takes control of the southwestern city to prevent further terrorist attacks.
Hundreds of Shias have joined a protest with the bodies of some of the 85 people killed in Saturday's attack at Hazara Town in Quetta, the capital of the restive Balochistan province.
The banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for the bombing.
A bomb containing hundreds of kilograms of explosives ripped through a crowded market in Hazara Town on Saturday.
Many women and children were among the dead. About 200 people were injured by the blast, which flattened several buildings.
Leaders of the Shia Hazara community, which has been repeatedly targeted by sectarian groups like the LeJ, gave the government a 48-hour ultimatum to launch an army operation against terrorists.
They accused elements of the security establishment of sheltering the militants.
Quetta police chief Wazir Khan Nasir said officials were engaged in negotiations with the Shia leaders to convince them to bury their dead.
However, Shia leader Qayyum Changezi said the protesters would not bury the dead "until a targeted operation is launched" against terrorists.
Syed Muhammad Hadi, a spokesman for an alliance of Shia groups, said the community wanted security in Quetta to be handed over to the army and targeted operations against terrorists and their supporters.
The paramilitary Frontier Corps is responsible for security in Balochistan but Shias say it is unable to protect them.
After 92 people were killed in a twin suicide bombing in another Shia neighbourhood of Quetta last month, Shia Hazaras had refused to bury their dead till the federal government took steps to protect them.
Their protest triggered similar demonstrations in cities across Pakistan and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf was forced to dismiss the provincial government and impose Governor’s Rule in Balochistan.
Shia leaders said the security situation had not improved despite the imposition of Governor’s Rule.
Federal Religious Affairs Minister Khurshid Shah today said the latest attack on the Shias had highlighted the failure of intelligence agencies.
Protests against the bomb attack were organised in several cities, including Islamabad, Lahore, Jacobabad and Larkana. Markets were closed at some places and Shia groups organised rallies.
A strike was observed in Quetta yesterday at the call of the Hazara Democratic Party.
Related News (Year 2013)
Grand Ayatollah Hamedani Calls for Protection of Pakistani Shias18.2.2013
UN condemns bomb attack on Shias in Pakistan18.2.2013
Iranian MP: Pakistan extremists seek Shia genocide18.2.2013
Huge protests in Pakistan against Shia killings18.2.2013
Pakistan Shia Genocide: In First 48 Dys of 2013, Over 260 Shia Killed, 500 Injured18.2.2013
Shia protester Rizwan Kazmi killed in Karachi17.2.2013
Pakistan - Quetta Blast Death Toll Reaches 84 Shia Muslims, Including Women and Children
3 Shia Men Shot Martyred in Pakistan15.2.2013
Saudi-Funded Terrorists Kill 2 Shia Men in Pakistan13.2.2013
Pakistan Shia Killings: Shia Banker Martyred in Lahore in a Targeted Attack, 4 Injured12.2.2013
Shiite man 'Mukhtar Rizvi' shot martyred by Sipah-e-Sahaba terrorists in Karachi11.2.2013
Pakistan Shia Killings: Wahhabi Terrorists Kill 4, Including a Father and Son10.2.213
Pakistan Shia Killings: Saudi-Funded Terrorists Killed 3 More Shia Muslims8.2.2013
Pakistan Shia Killings - Two Shia Muslims Shot Martyred in Karachi
Pakistan: A terrorist confessed to have shot martyred 8 Shia Muslims
An injured of the blast on Shiite Mosque passes away 4.2.2013
New Crime of Terrorism in Pakistan: 32 Shia and Sunni Muslims Massacred in Hangu and Karachi
Pakistan Shia Killing - Saudi-Funded Terrorists Killed ‘Sarwar Hussain’ in Karachi
Pakistan: Saudi-Backed Terrorists Killed a Shia and Sunni Police Officials in the Unity Week
Shia Genocide Continues in Pakistan: Shia Muslim ‘Waqar Hussain’ Killed in Karachi
Shia Genocide Continues in Pakistan: Saudi-Backed Terrorists Killed 'Syed Hamid Hussain' in Parachinar
Pakistan: Terrorists Killed Shia Man 'Naber Ali Khan' in Gilgit
Saudi-Backed Terrorists Killed 3, Including 2 Prominent Doctors3.11.2013
Saudi-Backed Terrorists killed 'Shaban Bangash' in Baluchistan18.1.2013
Terrorists killed Shiite 'Maqbool Hussain' in Karachi17.1.2013
-Shia Genocide Continues in Pakistan: 3 More Shias Martyred by Saudi-Backed Deobandi Terrorists
-Pakistan Fires Provincial Govt Over Shiite Killings
-Pakistan: 91 Muslims Martyred in a Suicide Attack and a Car Bomb Blast in Quetta
-Afghans hold demo in Kabul, condemn Shia killings in Pakistan
-Pakistan Shia killing US-Wahhabi legacy
-We Are All Quetta
-Pakistan Prime Minister impose governor's rule clamped on Balochistan, Chief Minister dismissed
-Pakistani Cleric: Government failed clearly to protect the citizens so they have no legitimacy to remain in power
-Terrorists Martyred 3 Shia Muslims, Including Famous leader & Doctor "Riaz Hussain"
-Shia Genocide Continues in Pakistan: Saudi-Backed Terrorists Killed 1 More Shia Muslims in Karachi
-Pakistan: 9 Shia Muslims Martyred at the Beginning of New Year 2013
Photos: Mass Protest in Ireland Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Mass Protest in Houston USA Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Mass Protests in Melbourne Australia Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Hundreds of People Protests in New York Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Hundreds of Shias Protests in Toronto, Canada Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Mass Protests in Dallas, Texas Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Shia protesters in London call for army action, rule of law / Photos
Photos: Mass Protest in Manchester Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Mass Protest in Auckland (New Zealand) Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Mass Protest in Kufa, Kadhimiya (Iraq) Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan
Photos: Mass Protest in Banglore (India) Against Shia Genocide in Pakistan18.1.2013
/129
18 February 2013 - 09:30
News ID: 392022
Shia Muslims in Pakistan city of Quetta are refusing to bury the bodies of scores of people killed by a huge bomb in a Shia commercial area, BBC News said.