(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Maliki told reporters on Wednesday that Washington needs to reach a new deal in order to keep its troops in Iraq beyond this year, and this new agreement would need to be backed by all main Iraqi political factions.
The Iraqi premier pointed out that he would invite the heads of all political blocs to discuss the issue this month.
"If I get their approval, then I will say yes, and if they reject it, I will say no," he noted.
Last month, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Washington will keep troops in the oil-rich country if Baghdad asks for additional help.
However, Maliki repeatedly ruled out the need for the presence of US troops in war-torn Iraq beyond December 2011.
Militancy and terrorism continue to be rampant in Iraq eight years after US-led invasion of the Middle Eastern country, despite the persisting presence of some 47,000 US troops there, according to AP.
In 2003, Washington led its allies in the occupation of Iraq under the pretext that the country was then in possession of weapons of mass destruction (WMD).
However, it was later found that not only the country did not harbor any such arms, but that American and British leaders, who heavily promoted and participated in the hugely destructive military action, knew about the non-existence of WMD's in Iraq.
Over one million Iraqis have suffered violent deaths as a result of the occupation, according to a study conducted by the prestigious British polling group, Opinion Research Business (ORB).
About 5 million children have also been orphaned as violence has been surging continuously, ORB said.
/106