28 November 2010 - 20:30

Al-Qaeda says it carried out a suicide bomb attack which killed 23 people at a procession of supporters of Shi'ite Muslims in north Yemen last week, the SITE Internet monitoring service reported on Sunday.

Al-Qaeda says it carried out a suicide bomb attack which killed 23 people at a procession of supporters of Shi'ite Muslims in north Yemen last week, the SITE Internet monitoring service reported on Sunday.

It's the first time al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which is virulently anti-Shi'ite, has claimed an attack against Zaidi Shias, also known as Huthis.

In a statement dated November 25 and posted online on Sunday on jihadist websites, AQAP called the Huthi Shias "legitimate targets" and said "new attacks are being prepared" against them, SITE reported.

A suicide car bomber targeted Wednesday's religious procession in a deadly attack which a tribal chief charged was an attempt by al-Qaeda to fan sectarian tensions in the already restive country.

End item/ 129