5 July 2011 - 19:30

Prominent Egyptian group Muslim Brotherhood might be ready to speak with the United States but before any talks the US must stop support for Israel, an MB spokesman said Saturday, July 3.

(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Mahmoud Ghozlan was responding to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s remarks late last week. Clinton had said the Obama administration wants to open a dialog with the group.

“We believe, given the changing political landscape in Egypt, that it is in the interests of the United States to engage with all parties that are peaceful and committed to nonviolence, that intend to compete for the parliament and the presidency,” she told reporters in Budapest, Hungary, adding: “We welcome, therefore, dialogue with those Muslim Brotherhood members who wish to talk with us.”

Ghozlan reportedly responded in an e-mailed statement, and was quoted by Bloomberg News as having said: “We are ready for dialogue with the U.S. administration, if it so decides, within a framework of mutual respect.”

Ghozlan added, however, that his group “hopes that the U.S. administration has revised its previous policies and decided to side with the rights of the people and their demands.”He also made sure to mention Israel, saying the U.S. should “stop supporting the corrupt and tyrannical regimes, backing the Zionist occupation and using double standards.”

/106