The governor of Yemen's Aden province Jaafar Mohammed Saad was killed on Sunday when a suicide bomber rammed his car into the governor's convoy in the western part of Aden city, residents and a local official said.
They said at least six of his entourage also died in the attack, which occurred while the governor was heading to work. Several other people were also wounded in the bombing.
The sources had earlier said attackers had used rocket-propelled grenades to target Saad.
A few hours following the incident, Daesh Takfiri terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack. A statement posted on Twitter by the terrorist group said it was behind the attack on the convoy of Jaafar Saad as it traveled through Aden's Tawahi neighborhood early Sunday.
Saad, a former general in the army of the former southern Yemen before the Marxist state merged with northern Yemen in 1990, was appointed governor in October.




/257