23 May 2015 - 18:27
Kurdish Peshmerga Kill 40 ISIS Militants in Sinjar

On Saturday morning the so-called Islamic State (IS) militants attacked Kurdish Peshmerga forces on the Sinjar frontline. The attack was launched from several directions but was successfully repelled. Scores of militants were killed or wounded.

On Saturday morning the so-called Islamic State (IS) militants attacked Kurdish Peshmerga forces on the Sinjar frontline. The attack was launched from several directions but was successfully repelled. Scores of militants were killed or wounded.

Lt. Zamdar Raza Zebari, Peshmerga commander at the Sinjar frontline, said on Saturday that IS attacked Peshmerga forces from several directions in Sinjar.

“Militants attacked the Peshmerga from a number of neighbourhoods. Fortunately Peshmerga forces were quick to respond to the attacks and tens of IS militants were killed during the clashes,” said Lt. Zebari.

Confirmed numbers are as yet unavailable, but Zebari believes than 40 fake jihadists were killed, with many more wounded.

The Peshmerga commander didn’t reveal Peshmerga causalities. Some sporadic gun battles can still be heard in Sinjar neighbourhoods, particularly Shuhada, in the east of the town.

Sinjar has been under the control of IS since August last year. Since then its has been the site of a number of fierce battles as Peshmerga forces and IS wrestle for control of the strategic town.



/129