Syrians Burn US Flag, Protest against Illegal US Army Presence

Syrians Burn US Flag, Protest against Illegal US Army Presence

Syrian people took to the streets in southeastern city of Hasakah on Friday and burned the US Flag.

AhlulBayt News Agency - Syrian people took to the streets in southeastern city of Hasakah on Friday and burned the US Flag.

People of Hasakah, who were angry with the arrival of 250 US soldiers to the Kurdish-controlled town of Rumeilan without Syrian government's mandate, condemned “the US imperialism” and the “illegal presence” of US troops in the Hasakah province, Iraq-based Ara News reported.

State-run SANA news agency cited Hasakah Governor Mohamad Zaal al-Ali as saying “The stand of Hasakah people is a confirmation that the existence of such [American] troops in Rumelan means a conspiracy against Syrian people, who refuse to let those who supported terrorism against their country to have their troops on Syrian soil,” reported.

A similar rally had earlier been held on Wednesday as local residents called for American Troops expulsion from their country.

“We are categorically against the impermissible and flagrant violation of our country’s sovereignty. We will not allow American boots on our soil. We are also against any plans for a division or federalization of Syria,” Al-Hasakah Governor Mohammad Zaal told on Wednesday.

On April 28, US President Barack Obama announced that Washington would "deploy up to 250 additional US personnel in Syria including Special Forces.” They are reportedly expected to train the Syrian Democratic Forces.

Painting the US move as “blatant act of aggression that constitutes a dangerous intervention and a gross violation of the Syrian sovereignty”, the Syrian Foreign Ministry stressed that “This intervention is rejected and illegitimate, and it happened without the Syrian government’s approval.”

The US administration, however, argues that their move is not illegal and the US does not need the Syrian government's approval.

Repeating unconfirmed accusations against Bashar Assad's government, the spokesperson of the US State Department said late in April “We didn’t seek the Syrian Government’s approval before making this decision, and I find it the height of irony to call this a blatant act of aggression when they continue to gas and barrel bomb their own people and are reportedly now bombing a hospital in Aleppo."

The first time Obama broke his 2013 promise of no “American boots on the ground in Syria” was when he sent 50 US special operations forces to Syria last year, claiming the move as a “counterterrorism” measure and not a step closer to a ground invasion.

Since Obama has broken his promise involving ground troops in Syria, we can expect the same about-face in Libya.“There’s no plan for ground troops in Libya,” Obama said at a press conference in London during his European tour last week. He added: “I don’t think that’s necessary. I don’t think it would be welcomed by this new government. It would send the wrong signal.” One can imagine it’s only a matter of time before that statement is proven false.

Last week also Obama called for more troops and gunships into Iraq. The deployment was confirmed days later during a surprise visit to Iraq by US Defense Secretary Ash Carter who said 217 additional troops are set to arrive in the Arab state.

The US-led coalition has been carrying out alleged airstrikes against ISIS n Iraq and Syria since mid-2014.However, the US involvement in Syria began without the approval of the Syrian government of President Bashar Assad.




/129


Related Articles

Post your comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*