At least 32 soldiers have been killed in a clash with Boko Haram militants on Niger's border with Nigeria.
AhlulBayt News Agency - At least 32 soldiers have been killed in a clash with Boko Haram militants on Niger's border with Nigeria.
Niger's defence ministry said that the soldiers - 30 from Niger and two from Nigeria - were killed when Boko Haram attacked the southeastern town of Bosso.
The Friday night attack also saw 67 soldiers wounded.
There were no casualty figures for the militants, but Niger's defence ministry spokesman said "several (Boko Haram) dead and injured were taken away".
He added: "The counter offensive conducted early this morning helped (the army) to retake control of all the positions in the city of Bosso.
"The situation is under control and calm has returned."
Niger has been the target of frequent Boko Haram attacks in its southeast since February last year, with the terrorists also launching raids across the border into Nigeria.
At least 20,000 Nigerians have been killed and more than 2.1 million made homeless in Boko Haram's seven-year insurgency.
Figures for Niger are not as clear, but the UN High Commission for Refugees estimated in January that insurgent incursions had displaced an estimated 50,000 people within the country.
Meanwhile, Nigerian troops killed 19 Boko Haram militants during fighting in the northeast Borno state, with two soldiers suffering gunshot wounds.
That attack was also launched on Friday and a statement from the Nigerian army said that one of those killed was Ameer Abubakar Gana, a Boko Haram leader in the area.
This has not yet been independently confirmed, however.
The Nigerian soldiers destroyed a factory being used to make improvised explosive devices and recovered two anti-aircraft guns along with other weapons and vehicles.