(AhlulBayt News Agency) - Ahmed Mohammed Mahmoud, 36, was taking photographs of fighting between protesters and security forces from the balcony of his home when he was shot Jan. 28, state-run newspaper Al-Ahram said on its website.
Mahmoud worked for Al-Taawun, a newspaper put out by the Al-Ahram publishing house. He lived near central Tahrir Square, the focal point of protest rallies as well as clashes this week between large crowds of supporters and opponents of President Hosni Mubarak.
The United Nations described brazen assaults on reporters that occurred during this week's violence as an attempt to stifle coverage of anti-government protests. President Barack Obama said attacks on reporters, human rights workers and peaceful protesters in Egypt were "unacceptable."
The Qatar-based television network Al-Jazeera said its offices in Cairo were set ablaze, along with the equipment inside it.
Mubarak supporters assaulted dozens of correspondents with virtual impunity in central Cairo this week with little intervention from nearby military units.
There were fewer reports of such attacks on Friday, when anti-government protesters staged a mostly peaceful rally in Tahrir Square.
The Egyptian government said reports of "an official policy against international media" were false, and that violence against journalists was unacceptable.
"International media have been, and are always, welcome in Egypt," said the state-run Cairo Press Center, which oversees media accreditation. It said more than 1,000 international journalists were in the country.
"Regrettably, international journalists have been endangered by the same conditions that have threatened all Egyptians in areas of the country where there have been major disturbances and a breakdown of security," the center said.
It said the Ministry of Information had worked with authorities to speed the release of those journalists who were detained.
The White House said it was working with the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on getting American journalists who have been beaten or detained out of Egypt.
Press secretary Robert Gibbs said the U.S. government continues to receive disturbing reports about what he called a "very systematic targeting of journalists."
On Friday, two correspondents for Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty who had just flown into Cairo were detained, the organization said. It said one of the correspondents who was able to speak to another colleague reported that he believed they were being held in a police station.
A Swedish TV reporter, Bert Sundstrom of public broadcaster SVT, was in serious condition at a Cairo hospital after being stabbed in the back on Thursday.
CBS News said correspondent Lara Logan and cameramen Don Lee and Max McClellan were released after being held for a day by the Egyptian military, and were headed back to the United States.
1. Saudi Wahhabi Top Cleric Blasts Egypt Protests as Shameful
2. Christians join Muslims in plea for change in Egypt
3. Anti-Mubarak Protesters defy curfew
4. Mubarak Regime Near to End: Mubarak resigns as ruling party head
5. Leading Egyptian journalist says Egypt protests have shaken regime forever
6. Christians Protect Muslims During Prayers in Egypt
7. Hamas denies involvement in Egyptian upheaval
8. The Pahlavi mediating with Washington to secure shelter for Mubarak
9. The Thuggish Arab Regimes
10. Egyptian Uprising, Complementary to Victories of Lebanese Resistance, Palestinian Revolution
11. Egyptian hungry troops feed by Gazans
12. Indian media massively cover Imam Khamenei's address on Egypt
13. Indian Muslim body demands respect for wishes of Egyptians
14. Israel Near to End: Explosion Targets Gas Pipeline Between Egypt and Israel
15. CN's John King discusses Egypt's political future with Essam el-Erian (Muslim Brotherhood Leader) - Clip
16. US, Israel and the Fate of Egyptian Revolution
17. Egyptian Journalist Ahmed Mahmoud Dies Of Gunshot Wounds; First Reported Journalist Death In Uprising
18. Iranians show support for Egypt uprising
19. Egypt's revolution drags into 12th day + PIC
20. Egyptian ex-officials face travel ban
21. Iraqi Shia Cleric: Iraq not immune from Arab anger
22. Egyptian-Americans held Anti-Mubarak demo in New York
23. Greek PM to take EU message to Egypt
24. Cartoon: US urges Mubarak to step down, but clinched to keep its regime
25. Top Sunni Cleric: Participating in demonstration is an Islamic obligation
26. 10th Day of Egyptian Protests V (PIC)
27. 10th Day of Egyptian Protests IV (PIC)
28. 10th Day of Egyptian Protests III (PIC)
29. 10th Day of Egyptian Protests II (PIC)
30. Anti-Mubarak protests rise in Alexandria
31. AL chief joins anti-Mubarak protests
32. Millions stage anti-Mubarak protests
33. 10th Day of Egyptian Protests I (PIC)
34. US Senate calls for transition govt in Egypt
35. Brotherhood announces people's victory
36. Mubarak rejects immediate resignation
37. Former Israeli min. defends Mubrak
38. Imam Khamenei: Egypt Uprising Sign of Islamic Awakening
39. Mubarak's 'Day of Departure' begins
40. Mobarak reportedly wants to step down
41. 'Egypt army will not fire on people'
42. Biden warns Egyptian VP to end violence
43. Cairo blasted for attacks on reporters
44. 'US offering plan for Mubarak to quit'
45. Egypt protests set to escalate on Friday
46. 'Egyptian youth seek credible leader'
47. Snipers of Mubarak flee Cairo square
48. Urgent: 2 Israeli Spies Captured by Egyptian
49. Hamas allows anti-Mubarak protest in Gaza
50. Mubarak Has Left Egypt: Twitter Claims
51. Egypt arrest Israeli spy amid unrest
52. Karbala Lawyers demonstrate in support of Egyptian People
53. Egypt Crisis Means Israel must Resume “Peace Talks”
54. Five EU Nations Urge Immediate Transition amid Egypt Unrest
55. Egyptian Prime Minister sorry for deadly crackdown
56. Israeli war minister: Mubarak's era has gone
57. Video: Egyptian severely attack camelback and pro Mubarak supporters (IV)
58. Video: The important hours in the history of Egypt and the region (III)
59. Video: Mubarak supporters on horse and camelback attack anti-government protesters (II)
60. Video: Firebombs and gunfire across Cairo (I)
61. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XV (PIC)
62. Egypt army tanks clear defend anti-Mubarak protesters in square
63. Top Shia Cleric lauds Egyptian Revolution as Valiant Attempt for Justice, Freedom and True Independence
64. Kuwaiti Government Bans Mosque Preachers From Mentioning Egypt Events
65. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XIV (PIC)
66. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XIII (PIC)
67. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XII (PIC)
68. Egypt use Israeli weapons against protesters
69. Egyptian revolution entered 10th day, 10 killed, over 20 injured
70. Israel phobic about Muslim Brotherhood sharing power in Egypt
71. Turkey President: Urgent power transfer in Egypt necessary
72. Hezbollah members escape Egypt prison amid chaos
73. Israel pulls down flag at Cairo embassy
74. Turkish PM says Mubarak should quit now
75. Egyptian Protests 2011 - Camel Attack (CLIP)
76. Mubarak supporters clash with protesters in Cairo; men charge into square on horses, camels + PIC
77. Mubarak supporters attack protesters, killed 7 and injured 50
78. Egyptians: We will not go, he will go
79. United Nations calls on Mubarak to respect democracy
80. Egypt parliament suspends amid protests
81. Israel's greatest fear is the Islamic takeover in Egypt
82. Egypt still in turmoil despite Mubarak's Tuesday speech
83. Mubarak will escape Egypt: Poll
84. Obama says change in Egypt "must begin now"
85. Mubarak vows to quit after polls
86. Egypt revolution protests enter 9th day
87. 'Mubarak loses all legitimacy'
88. Mubarak: I will not leave Egypt
89. Mubarak says he won't run for re-election
90. Mass Jailbreaks amid Egypt Protests
91. Imam Khamenei: New Middle East will be formed and this Middle East will be an Islamic Middle East
92. Tunisia, Egypt; Is the Arab World Moving Towards Independence?
93. Hezbollah hails Egypt demonstrators
94. Peres prefers absence of democracy to religious authority in Egypt
95. Google Launches Service Letting Egyptians Tweet by Phone
96. Over 50 Egypt rights groups urge Mubarak out
97. Saudi Arabia evacuates 14,000 citizens from Egypt
98. Imam Khameni's View of Egypt
99. On the eve of the Islamic Revolution of Iran, millions of Egyptians March today
100. Israel is losing its middle eastern allies: Haaretz
101. Egyptian Army confirms legitimacy of people’s demands
102. Israel in fear of an Islamic rule in Egypt
103. Egypt Names New Interior, Finance Ministers
104. Imam Khomeini calls on Egyptians to Rise
105. MB slams West silence on Egypt killings
106. Egypt banks closed Tues, no date set for reopen: CBank
107. 'US passive on Mubarak sham elections'
108. Obama flip-flops on Egypt crisis
109. Palestinian detainees in Egypt make it back to Gaza
110. Hundreds of Israeli tourists evacuated from Egypt
111. Israelis fear gas crisis due to events in Egypt
112. 'Army must choose Egypt or Mubarak'
113. Clinton Calls for “Orderly Transition”, “Real Democracy” in Egypt
114. Mubarak asks new PM to boost reform, economy, anti-corruption
115. Israel to West: Stop bashing Mubarak
116. Istanbul Rally in to Support Egypt’s Revolution
117. US playing double game on Egypt
118. Israel shocked at US position dissuading repression of Egyptian protests
119. Demonstrators try to storm the Israeli embassy in Cairo: Russia Today
120. 'Million man march' called on Tuesday in Cairo
121. Mubarak visits military operations centre
122. Egyptian police ordered to return to streets
123. 'Israel provides weapons for Egypt'
124. Hosni Mubarak's family flee to London
125. Outgoing authorities in Egypt decide to end all operations of Al-Jazeera
126. Fall of Egyptian regime will accelerate end to Abbas
127. 34 Muslim brotherhood members released amid unrest in Egypt
128. Israel “Closely Monitoring” Events in Egypt
129. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XI (PIC)
130. Tens of bodies found in Cairo
131. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian X (PIC)
132. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IX (PIC)
133. Palestinian security men deployed along border with Egypt
134. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VIII (PIC)
135. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VII (PIC)
136. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VI (PIC)
137. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VI (PIC)
138. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian V (PIC)
139. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IV (PIC)
140. Al-Jazeera Bans by Egypt amid uprising
141. London Egypt protest shows Islamist/secular split
142. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IV (PIC)
143. Friday Rage: Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian III (PIC)
144. Saudi king supports Mubarak's dictator regime
145. Protests endanger Palestinians held by Egypt
146. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian II (PIC)
147. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian I (PIC)
148. Head of US Muslim group urges US pressure on Egypt
149. Egyptians Determined to Pursue Revolution; Mubarak Names VP!
150. Rally Against Egypt President Outside UN Headquarters
151. Over 5,000 Egyptian prisoners escape
152. Iran is closely following Middle East developments
153. Abbas phones Mubarak to express solidarity
154. Israel expresses concern as protesters threaten to overthrow Mubarak
155. Students gather in front of Egypt's Interests Section in Tehran
156. Egypt Heart of the Arab World, Iranian Commander Says
157. Cleric Tells Egypt Protesters Bloodshed Banned
158. Top Sunni Cleric: Shooting to Protesters is Haram
159. Israel Monitoring Egypt Rage with Concern, Officials Ordered to Remain Silent
160. Egypt's death toll from unrest hits 95 / Photos
161. Mubarak future in doubt in the wake of Egypt turmoil (Cartoon)
162. Death toll from Egypt unrest hits 65
163. Egyptian police fire shots in Cairo
164. How the U.S. can respond to Egypt's Internet blackout
165. Unspoken Concern Over Egyptian Uprising: Control Of Suez Canal And Price Of Gas
166. Mohamed El-Baradei detained by Egyptian police
167. Egypt: Mubarak sacks cabinet and defends security role
168. Biden on Mubarak: 'I would not refer to him as a dictator.'
169. CAIR Asks Americans to Support Freedom in Egypt, Muslim World
170. Iraqi Shia Preacher describes developments in Tunisia, Egypt , Yemen as "Islamic Arab Revival"
171. The Biggest Friday Protest Rages in Egypt; 26 Killed, 900 Injured
172. Israeli embassy personnel flee Cairo
173. Violent clashes continue to rock Egypt
174. US slammed over Egypt military support
175. ElBaradei attends prayers amid uprising / Clashes in Cairo Extend Arab World’s Days of Unrest
176. 20 Egypt opposition members detained
177. Egypt clamps down on media, Intenet
178. 'Egypt deploys army to contain protests'
179. Friday Protests In Egypt Expected To Be Biggest Yet
180. Spirit of Tunisia comes to Egypt
181. Government Building Torched by Egyptian Protesters