(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - A member of Israeli General Staff Reconnaissance Unit, Sayeret Matkal, has been arrested in Egypt amid massive anti-government protests.
The unnamed official was detained on Thursday as Egyptian protesters are keeping up the pressure on President Hosni Mubarak to step down, a video obtained by Press TV's website showed.
Millions of people have gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square, which has been a focal point for demonstrators, as well as elsewhere for the tenth consecutive day and chanted anti-government slogans.
On Tuesday, Mubarak announced in a televised address that he will not run for a sixth six-year term of office. However, he refused to relinquish power.
"I will use the remaining months of my term in office to fill the people's demands," he said.
Protesters resumed their "Leave, Mubarak!" chant in downtown Cairo following the 82-year-old Egyptian president's address.
Clashes also broke out between demonstrators and security forces in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria shortly after Mubarak's announcement.
Egyptian opposition groups are calling for departure of Mubarak from power, the formation of a new parliament, and amendments to the constitution.
As many as 300 people may have been killed, and thousands injured, in clashes between security forces and protesters in Cairo and other Egyptian cities over the past week.
“Casualties have been mounting on a daily basis, with unconfirmed reports suggesting as many as 300 people may have been killed,” UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said on Tuesday.
Egypt's main opposition movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, has condemned the United Nations and Western countries for not attempting to stop the government's use of excessive force against protesters.
The revolution in Egypt follows a historic one in Tunisia, which forced President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali to give up power and flee after 23 years of authoritarian rule.
End item/ 129
1. Mubarak Has Left Egypt: Twitter Claims
2. Egypt arrest Israeli spy amid unrest
3. Karbala Lawyers demonstrate in support of Egyptian People
4. Egypt Crisis Means Israel must Resume “Peace Talks”
5. Five EU Nations Urge Immediate Transition amid Egypt Unrest
6. Egyptian Prime Minister sorry for deadly crackdown
7. Israeli war minister: Mubarak's era has gone
8. Video: Egyptian severely attack camelback and pro Mubarak supporters (IV)
9. Video: The important hours in the history of Egypt and the region (III)
10. Video: Mubarak supporters on horse and camelback attack anti-government protesters (II)
11. Video: Firebombs and gunfire across Cairo (I)
12. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XV (PIC)
13. Egypt army tanks clear defend anti-Mubarak protesters in square
14. Top Shia Cleric lauds Egyptian Revolution as Valiant Attempt for Justice, Freedom and True Independence
15. Kuwaiti Government Bans Mosque Preachers From Mentioning Egypt Events
16. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XIV (PIC)
17. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XIII (PIC)
18. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XII (PIC)
19. Egypt use Israeli weapons against protesters
20. Egyptian revolution entered 10th day, 10 killed, over 20 injured
21. Israel phobic about Muslim Brotherhood sharing power in Egypt
22. Turkey President: Urgent power transfer in Egypt necessary
23. Hezbollah members escape Egypt prison amid chaos
24. Israel pulls down flag at Cairo embassy
25. Turkish PM says Mubarak should quit now
26. Egyptian Protests 2011 - Camel Attack (CLIP)
27. Mubarak supporters clash with protesters in Cairo; men charge into square on horses, camels + PIC
28. Mubarak supporters attack protesters, killed 7 and injured 50
29. Egyptians: We will not go, he will go
30. United Nations calls on Mubarak to respect democracy
31. Egypt parliament suspends amid protests
32. Israel's greatest fear is the Islamic takeover in Egypt
33. Egypt still in turmoil despite Mubarak's Tuesday speech
34. Mubarak will escape Egypt: Poll
35. Obama says change in Egypt "must begin now"
36. Mubarak vows to quit after polls
37. Egypt revolution protests enter 9th day
38. 'Mubarak loses all legitimacy'
39. Mubarak: I will not leave Egypt
40. Mubarak says he won't run for re-election
41. Mass Jailbreaks amid Egypt Protests
42. Imam Khamenei: New Middle East will be formed and this Middle East will be an Islamic Middle East
43. Tunisia, Egypt; Is the Arab World Moving Towards Independence?
44. Hezbollah hails Egypt demonstrators
45. Peres prefers absence of democracy to religious authority in Egypt
46. Google Launches Service Letting Egyptians Tweet by Phone
47. Over 50 Egypt rights groups urge Mubarak out
48. Saudi Arabia evacuates 14,000 citizens from Egypt
49. Imam Khameni's View of Egypt
50. On the eve of the Islamic Revolution of Iran, millions of Egyptians March today
51. Israel is losing its middle eastern allies: Haaretz
52. Egyptian Army confirms legitimacy of people’s demands
53. Israel in fear of an Islamic rule in Egypt
54. Egypt Names New Interior, Finance Ministers
55. Imam Khomeini calls on Egyptians to Rise
56. MB slams West silence on Egypt killings
57. Egypt banks closed Tues, no date set for reopen: CBank
58. 'US passive on Mubarak sham elections'
59. Obama flip-flops on Egypt crisis
60. Palestinian detainees in Egypt make it back to Gaza
61. Hundreds of Israeli tourists evacuated from Egypt
62. Israelis fear gas crisis due to events in Egypt
63. 'Army must choose Egypt or Mubarak'
64. Clinton Calls for “Orderly Transition”, “Real Democracy” in Egypt
65. Mubarak asks new PM to boost reform, economy, anti-corruption
66. Israel to West: Stop bashing Mubarak
67. Istanbul Rally in to Support Egypt’s Revolution
68. US playing double game on Egypt
69. Israel shocked at US position dissuading repression of Egyptian protests
70. Demonstrators try to storm the Israeli embassy in Cairo: Russia Today
71. 'Million man march' called on Tuesday in Cairo
72. Mubarak visits military operations centre
73. Egyptian police ordered to return to streets
74. 'Israel provides weapons for Egypt'
75. Hosni Mubarak's family flee to London
76. Outgoing authorities in Egypt decide to end all operations of Al-Jazeera
77. Fall of Egyptian regime will accelerate end to Abbas
78. 34 Muslim brotherhood members released amid unrest in Egypt
79. Israel “Closely Monitoring” Events in Egypt
80. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XI (PIC)
81. Tens of bodies found in Cairo
82. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian X (PIC)
83. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IX (PIC)
84. Palestinian security men deployed along border with Egypt
85. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VIII (PIC)
86. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VII (PIC)
87. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VI (PIC)
88. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VI (PIC)
89. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian V (PIC)
90. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IV (PIC)
91. Al-Jazeera Bans by Egypt amid uprising
92. London Egypt protest shows Islamist/secular split
93. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IV (PIC)
94. Friday Rage: Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian III (PIC)
95. Saudi king supports Mubarak's dictator regime
96. Protests endanger Palestinians held by Egypt
97. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian II (PIC)
98. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian I (PIC)
99. Head of US Muslim group urges US pressure on Egypt
100. Egyptians Determined to Pursue Revolution; Mubarak Names VP!
101. Rally Against Egypt President Outside UN Headquarters
102. Over 5,000 Egyptian prisoners escape
103. Iran is closely following Middle East developments
104. Abbas phones Mubarak to express solidarity
105. Israel expresses concern as protesters threaten to overthrow Mubarak
106. Students gather in front of Egypt's Interests Section in Tehran
107. Egypt Heart of the Arab World, Iranian Commander Says
108. Cleric Tells Egypt Protesters Bloodshed Banned
109. Top Sunni Cleric: Shooting to Protesters is Haram
110. Israel Monitoring Egypt Rage with Concern, Officials Ordered to Remain Silent
111. Egypt's death toll from unrest hits 95 / Photos
112. Mubarak future in doubt in the wake of Egypt turmoil (Cartoon)
113. Death toll from Egypt unrest hits 65
114. Egyptian police fire shots in Cairo
115. How the U.S. can respond to Egypt's Internet blackout
116. Unspoken Concern Over Egyptian Uprising: Control Of Suez Canal And Price Of Gas
117. Mohamed El-Baradei detained by Egyptian police
118. Egypt: Mubarak sacks cabinet and defends security role
119. Biden on Mubarak: 'I would not refer to him as a dictator.'
120. CAIR Asks Americans to Support Freedom in Egypt, Muslim World
121. Iraqi Shia Preacher describes developments in Tunisia, Egypt , Yemen as "Islamic Arab Revival"
122. The Biggest Friday Protest Rages in Egypt; 26 Killed, 900 Injured
123. Israeli embassy personnel flee Cairo
124. Violent clashes continue to rock Egypt
125. US slammed over Egypt military support
126. ElBaradei attends prayers amid uprising / Clashes in Cairo Extend Arab World’s Days of Unrest
127. 20 Egypt opposition members detained
128. Egypt clamps down on media, Intenet
129. 'Egypt deploys army to contain protests'
130. Friday Protests In Egypt Expected To Be Biggest Yet
131. Spirit of Tunisia comes to Egypt
132. Government Building Torched by Egyptian Protesters