Spokesman for Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah Movement blamed the United Nations for its failure to make it possible for a delegation of Ansarullah representatives to attend a recent round of peace talks in Switzerland.
AhlulBayt News Agency (ABNA): Spokesman for Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah Movement blamed the United Nations for its failure to make it possible for a delegation of Ansarullah representatives to attend a recent round of peace talks in Switzerland.
Mohammad Abdulsalam was quoted by Al-Mayadeen TV as saying that the United Nations has failed to secure permission for an Ansarullah delegation to leave Yemen’s Sana’a for the UN-sponsored peace talks in the Swiss city of Geneva.
In comments on Friday, Loay al-Shamy, a senior Houthi official in the Ministry of Information, said that the Houthi delegation had been ready to leave Sana’a International Airport for Geneva, but the UN, under pressure by the Saudi-led military coalition, failed to keep its pledge to provide an Omani plane for the delegation or give assurances for the return of the delegation.
The comments came after Western media tried to put the blame on the Houthis, reporting that the attempt to hold Yemen peace talks in Geneva was abandoned on Saturday after three days of waiting for the Houthi movement’s delegation.
UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths has reportedly said the Houthis’ failure to come to Geneva for the first talks in three years did not signify that the peace process was deadlocked.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in Yemen in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Over 15,000 Yemenis, including women and children, have died in the deadly military campaign.