Evacuations of Syria towns resume after deadly bombing

(AhlulBayt News Agency) - Evacuations from two government-held areas of Syria have resumed, monitors and reports say, days after an attack on a convoy carrying evacuees killed 126 people, many of them children.

Some 3,000 people have left the north-western villages of Foah and Kefraya, which have been surrounded by rebels.

Meanwhile, buses have moved dozens of others from Zabadani, near Damascus, under siege by pro-government forces.

Security has been tight after Saturday's attack near Aleppo.

The evacuations resumed early on Wednesday, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said.

Several dozen armed militants stood guard near the buses, which were carefully searched, an AFP correspondent at the scene reported.

Most of those killed in the attack on Saturday were evacuees from government-held towns, including at least 68 children.

A vehicle filled with explosives hit their convoy. No group has said it was behind the attack.

More than 30,000 people are expected to be moved under the deal to end a grave humanitarian crisis.

Last month, the UN described the situation in the four towns as "catastrophic", with more than 64,000 civilians "trapped in a cycle of daily violence and deprivation".

Many people are reported to have died as a result of shortages of food or medicine.

Some 4.7 million people live in hard-to-reach and besieged areas in Syria, including 644,000 in UN-declared besieged locations.

Meanwhile, a bomb explosion killed at least six people and injured 32 others in Aleppo's Salah al-Din district, state TV reported, without providing details.



/257


Related Articles

Post your comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Imam Khamenei demands immediate end to domestic wars in Islamic countries in his Hajj 2017 message
پیام امام خامنه ای به مسلمانان جهان به مناسبت حج 2016
We are All Zakzaky
telegram