British Prime Minister Theresa May has ordered British submarines to move within missile range of Syria in readiness for strikes against the Syrian military that could begin as early as Thursday night, the Daily Telegraph newspaper said.
(AhlulBayt News Agency) - As Western leaders remain undecided on how to deal with an alleged chemical attack in Syria, a report says that they might attack the war-ravaged country by Thursday.
The Daily Telegraph reported Wednesday that strikes against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad “could begin as early as Thursday night.”
This is while British Prime Minister Theresa May has not yet reached a final decision to join forces with the United States and France against Syria.
However, she has ordered British submarines to move within missile range of Syria to be ready for possible strikes.
Britain reportedly hopes to fire Tomahawk cruise missiles against Syria from its submarines.
According to the White House, US President Donald Trump has not laid out any timetable for action, either.
Trump had earlier tweeted that missiles "will be coming" and Russia should "get ready."
His stance was toned down by White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who asserted that Trump has a number of options, and not just the military one.
Russia has dismissed as “bogus” reports of the chemical gas attack in Eastern Ghouta, while Damascus maintains that it has not launched any chemical attacks.
Iran has strongly condemned the use of chemical weapons by any country in any part of the world, saying claims about a chemical attack by the Syrian government in Eastern Ghouta are "conspiratorial and illogical."
The alleged attack was launched not long after Trump called for withdrawal of US troops from war-ravaged Syria.
The US has so far failed to offer any evidence in regard to the attack and the alleged role of Damascus or Iran or Russia.